The Irwin County Elementary School keeps a confidential list of students whose parents have limited and/or restricted custody rights. Students are placed on the list when and only when the school receives a legal document from the courts indicating a restriction. In the absence of legal papers, both parents have a right to visit and/or pick a child up from school. If circumstances should ever develop during the year and you have a concern about your child’s safety, please contact the school immediately and explain the circumstances. These confidential lists are reviewed annually for accuracy; it is the parent's responsibility to ensure that the court papers are in proper order and updated if necessary.
- Inspect and review education records;
- Request the amendment of the student's education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy or other rights;
- Consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except when requested by a government agency. Identifiable information contains the following: student name, a parent name, address, personal identifier, list of personal characteristics or information that would make the student's identity traceable.
In compliance with the requirements of the No Child Left Behind statute the Irwin County School District informs parents of information about the professional qualifications of your student's teacher(s). The following information may be provided:
- Whether the teacher has met the Georgia Professional Standards Commission requirements for certification for the grade level and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction;
- Whether the teacher is teaching under an emergency or other provisional status through which Georgia qualifications or certification criteria have been waived;
- The college major and any graduate certification or degree held by the teacher;
- Whether the student is provided services by paraprofessionals, and if so, their qualifications.
If you have questions concerning your child's teacher's qualifications, please contact the principal at 468-9476.
Parents may initiate a conference with a teacher anytime during the school year. It works best for all concerned when parents contact the teachers for an appointment. If parents go to the classroom without an appointment, it interrupts the teaching/learning process. Please contact the teacher for parent/teacher conferences.