The Irwin County Elementary School keeps a confidential list of students whose parents have limited and/or restricted custody rights. Students are placed on the list when and only when the school receives a legal document from the courts indicating a restriction. In the absence of legal papers, both parents have a right to visit and/or pick a child up from school. If circumstances should ever develop during the year and you have a concern about your child’s safety, please contact the school immediately and explain the circumstances. These confidential lists are reviewed annually for accuracy; it is the parent's responsibility to ensure that the court papers are in proper order and updated if necessary.
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act - FERPA
- Inspect and review education records;
- Request the amendment of the student's education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy or other rights;
- Consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except when requested by a government agency. Identifiable information contains the following: student name, a parent name, address, personal identifier, list of personal characteristics or information that would make the student's identity traceable.
Highly-Qualified Teacher Info
In compliance with the requirements of the No Child Left Behind statute the Irwin County School District informs parents of information about the professional qualifications of your student's teacher(s). The following information may be provided:
- Whether the teacher has met the Georgia Professional Standards Commission requirements for certification for the grade level and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction;
- Whether the teacher is teaching under an emergency or other provisional status through which Georgia qualifications or certification criteria have been waived;
- The college major and any graduate certification or degree held by the teacher;
- Whether the student is provided services by paraprofessionals, and if so, their qualifications.
If you have questions concerning your child's teacher's qualifications, please contact the principal at 468-9476.
Parents may initiate a conference with a teacher anytime during the school year. It works best for all concerned when parents contact the teachers for an appointment. If parents go to the classroom without an appointment, it interrupts the teaching/learning process. Please contact the teacher for parent/teacher conferences.
Additional notices will be sent home with students when they are referred to the school administrator for a violation of the code of conduct. When notices of disciplinary action are sent home, it is the responsibility of the parent to sign and return the notice to the school. At any time, a parent may request a conference with the principal, assistant principal, or teacher to discuss issues related to discipline and the code of conduct. The Irwin County Elementary Code of Conduct was developed with input and review by parents (O.C.G.A. § 20-2-735). Suggestions for improvement from parents, students, teachers, school council members, and staff are always welcome.
Parental involvement can take many different forms. Speak to your classroom teacher, resource teachers, school administrators, school council member, and/or parent involvement coordinator about ideas that will work for your child and you (see Student – Teacher – Parent Compact for Education in Student Handbook Appendix).
Toll-Free School Safety Hotline
MAKE THE CALL AND STOP VIOLENCE IN YOUR SCHOOL
The 1-877-SAY-STOP toll- free hotline was created by the Georgia Department of Education. Students can anonymously report anyone who has a weapon, has threatened to bring a weapon to school, or has violated any other school safety rules. The hotline hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; after 5 p.m. all calls will be forwarded to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Callers will not be asked to reveal their identities. Make the call; you can make a difference!