- August 15, 2018 August 15, 2018
Irwin County Elementary School has been fortunate enough to be selected to participate in the USDA Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FF&VP) for School Year 2018-2019! There are four main goals of the FFVP:
- Create healthier environments by providing healthier food choices,
- Expand the variety of fruits and vegetables children experience,
- Increase children’s fruit and vegetable consumption, and
- Make a difference in children’s diets to impact their present and future.
The fresh fruit and vegetable program allows us to serve these foods other than at meal times and is an effective and creative way of introducing fresh fruits and vegetables as a healthy snack option. Introducing children to new and different fruits and vegetables, like kiwi, star fruit, avocado, figs, pineapple, asparagus, watermelon, Asian pears, red and green peppers, etc. as well as their current favorites and locally grown fruits and vegetables, shows children that fresh fruits and vegetables are healthy and tasty alternatives to snacks that are high in fat, sugar or salt. Expanding the varieties of fruits and vegetables the students consume will broaden their exposure to many different foods.